Saturday 10 December 2011

The best gift for moms, seriously

As I melted what seemed like my 200th stick of butter and snacked on my third open mega bag of chocolate chips from Costco, I began to wonder, do people really want more 'Gifts from the Kitchen'?   I love home baked goods as much as the next person, but I would also like to keep wearing these same jeans and ward off diabetes for another year.

Most of us don't have money to burn, buying everyone a little something that most likely, although thoughtful, is not needed. Like many others, I thought again this year that I'll make something. I do love baking and want others to know I care, but perhaps there's something better than giving my friends cavities and fat asses. I've already given up on the greeting cards. Hmmm what to do?

Then it came to me this morning.

My mother offered to take my son for a couple hours so I could get stuff down. Now she helps me out tremendously, but today it seemed like the most special gift in the world. I didn't go to work. I didn't excercise or go grocery shopping. I just did stuff at home and had a long shower. I couldn't believe how great it felt and how much I accomplished. It was beautiful. Then I thought, there isn't a mom in the world that doesn't want, need or deserve a couple hours to do whatever she wants.

I know many of us have though and talked about this, but never actually followed through with it. So the gift I want to give this year to the fabulous mamas I know is to take their kids and give them the GIFT of TIME to do whatever they want. Go for a walk, go shopping, have a long shower, hump your husband or just take a nap. If you're really effiecient, maybe all of the above. :)

Think of the mamas in your life, and I dare you to just call and tell them you will watch the kids for them while they take some much deserved time away. They will love it! You'll feel good and probably the gesture will be returned.

Now I've already made some candy, so some of you mamas are getting it anyway, but I'll watch your kids too!

4 comments:

  1. A couple friends have taken me up on it so far and am glad to help them out. It actually seems easier for me too sometimes when Mekhi has playmate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, but what is the best gift dads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm not sure. Would single dads like the same? Would love to know what you & some other papas would appreciate. :)

    ReplyDelete